A short tutorial on how to use Docker within intelliJ and with a little help from Gradle. You can find the sample code & the full description here: https://github.com/adersberger/intellij-docker-tutorial.
Using Docker within intelliJ
1) Setup Docker cloud provider in intelliJ global preferences as shown below.
Tip: You can get the API URL by executing
docker-machine lsand using the shown IP & port for the
2) Check connection to Docker daemon in intelliJ "Docker" tab
3) Create new project from version control using github (https://github.com/adersberger/intellij-docker-tutorial.git)
4) Create a new run configuration to deploy application to Docker as shown on the following screenshots:
- Be sure not to forget to add the Gradle tasks as a "before launch" action as shown at the very bottom of the screenshot.
- The same is also possible for Docker Compose files. Just point the "Deployment" dropdown to the Docker Compose file.
5) Run the configuration and inspect the Docker container. A browser will open automagically and point to the REST endpoint. Within intelliJ you can access the containers console output, environment variables, port bindings etc.